Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Field Mix - Sgt. Pepper Lonley Hearts Club Band


Album: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Artist: the Beatles
Release Date: June 1st, 1967
RS 500 Greatest Albums of All Time Ranking: #1
Songs You'll Know: With A Little Help From My Friends, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds 
Songs You May Have Missed: Fixing A Hole, Lovely Rita

A Little History/Why This Album is Famous: Sgt. Pepper's reputation often precedes it: it might be the most famous album ever made. It forever changed the vibe of the band that forever changed the sound of rock music. It introduced the world to the experimental, psychedelic Beatles. The public had gotten a taste of this side of the Beatles in this album's predecessor Revolver, but Sgt. Pepper's introduced a new mood for rock music. It also showed that the sitar is a way cooler instrument than the electric guitar!


Comments: I must admit I love this album and I have loved it for as long as I can remember. This is the first album I remember hearing as a child. It was often the soundtrack to family road trips and one of the albums in my parents' totally boss record collection. In addition to the sentimental value, I genuinely love this album. I sometimes find myself humming bars of the title track or When I'm Sixty-Four while working. What is it that makes this album great? The songs from track to track are quite unique and varied in style, yet somehow still fit together to make a good album. I think that's a pretty impressive feat.

Though I love this album, it is not flawless. I enjoy all of the tracks, though some rank higher than others. I will admit that Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite, while fun and interestingly scored, is a bit of an odd song amongst the other tracks. Some consider Within You Without You to be a bit of a speedbump and I tend to agree, though I enjoy the use of the sitar greatly.

If you're a Beatles fan and don't own this album, you seriously need to reevaluate your life. It is a must-have, no exceptions! If you own it and love it, leave me a comment and let me know your favorite track. If you don't care for it, let me know why!

That's all for now. Next up is the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds

Arugalater!
Laura 

No comments: